What is retirement living?
Retirement developments are built especially for older people, designed with ease of living and access as a priority. Often, they are built close to town centres and amenities so that residents can continue to live independently and have the freedom to come and go as they please.
The main benefits are*:
Enjoy your independence and freedom:
- Live independently in your own apartment.
- Opportunities to socialise with other residents who are like minded and similar age. Many developments offer social activities or entertainment for residents, such as coffee mornings, crafts, bingo, bridge or quiz evenings.
- Guest suites are available for visiting friends and family.
- On-site manager: Living either on or off site, the manager will oversee the day to day running of the development, arrange maintenance and repairs and give advice to residents.
- Enjoyment of the communal areas – with no responsibility for the cleaning of communal areas or maintain the gardens.
Safety and security:
- Most developments have door entry systems and may feel safer than living alone. The on-site manager gives added peace of mind when you are away on holiday or visiting family.
- 24 – hour emergency alarm system: this can be a pull cord, button or personal pendant alarm so that residents can call for help if required.
Retirement properties are designed for independent living, but some sites offer extra care and support you can find out more information in Property types.
Please note: Not all development sites will provide these services